What is Bachelor of Management Studies (BMS) Course
The Bachelor of Management Studies is a 3-year undergraduate degree course that teaches you about the management aspect in a company or organisation. In this degree, you learn about the fundamentals of management and about all the various aspects that form a functional company or organisation. This degree is fast gaining popularity over other management degrees, as it makes you employable right after graduation.
Since the BMS degree is still somewhat unknown to many students. Many of them end up following traditional degrees. But what if you have a liking towards management? Therefore, lets check out the various aspects related to BMS like eligibility, admission, fees, employment potential, etc. So, you can make an informed decision of what career path to follow.
BMS: Course Highlights
- Full Form – Bachelor of Management Studies
- BMS Course Level – Bachelors Degree
- BMS Duration – 3 Year degree course
- BMS Eligibility – 12th pass from a recognised board of education
- BMS Average Course Fee – INR 8,000 to INR 2 lakhs
- BMS Examination Type – Semester
- BMS Average Starting Salary – INR 20,000 to INR 40,000
- After BMS Top Recruiting Companies – ICICI, SBI, HDFC, Bajaj Allianz, IT Sector
BMS Course Duration
The BMS degree is a 3-year degree course, which is divided into 6 semesters. In these 3 years, you will come across various subjects like strategic management, microeconomics, accounting, business law, organisational strategy & behaviour, leadership, entrepreneurship, etc. This is one of the biggest advantages of BMS. Such subjects are rarely taught in other bachelors courses.
BMS Course Eligibility Criteria
You need to have eligibility if you want to study BMS. If you dont fit into these criteria, you may not be able to get admission for the course. The following is a generalised criterion; colleges still have the right to make additions to these criteria.
Here is generalised eligibility criteria for Bachelor of Management Studies (BMS) course:
- 12th pass from a recognised board of education.
- Some colleges will require you to have a score above the cut-off percentage decided by them.
- Some colleges may require you to clear their entrance exams.
BMS Admission Process
The admission process is simple. Most processes are done online, including payments, so you dont have to run around, visiting various colleges.
1. Admission Process
- You have to download the online admission form from the university you are applying to.
- Fill the form and attach your 12th standard mark sheet.
- Choose the best BMS colleges according to your preference.
- Pay the required online fee (If any).
- You will be given admission in one of the many colleges affiliated with the university based on your score and proximity to the college.
2. Direct Admission
- Some colleges also reserve seats for direct admissions.
- These seats are available only after the college is done with the required university admissions.
- You may be required to sit an entrance exam to get direct admission into the college.
BMS Course Fees
This is the question on everyones mind, especially your parents. What are the fees for a BMS degree? The current range in between the fees of BMS lies is INR 8,000 to INR 2 lakhs. This is a wide range because many parameters are involved in the final fee figure.
Lets have a look at BMS course fees parameters:
1. Govt. Aide –
Govt. aided colleges charge much fewer fees for the BMS course, as they are aided by the government who subsidise the college’s expense for running the course.
2. Private College –
Private colleges, on the other hand, do not receive any help, so the fees here are a lot more, as they have to completely pay for the cost of running the BMS degree course.
3. College Rating –
Colleges with all the required accreditations and ratings by government and private educational bodies, and students will have a higher fee structure.
4. Facilities Amenities –
Your fee figures also depend on the amenities availed to the students. Some of the best BMS colleges provide students with amenities like laptops, computer labs, additional courses, hostel, etc.
5. Location –
If the college is located in metro cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Kolkata, Chennai, or even education hubs like Pune, Indore, and Ahmedabad, the fees will be on the higher side.
6. Internships & Placements –
Some colleges also provide internships and placements in some of the biggest companies in the industry. Such colleges will have a higher fee since they also ensure employment.
The above-mentioned parameters will decide what the fee you should expect from your BMS degree college.
Jobs & Career Options, Opportunities After BMS Course
One of the biggest reasons why students are choosing BMS over other traditional degree courses is that they can get employment right after graduation. With other degrees, you either have to do masters or postgraduate degrees and diplomas, or you have to get some certification courses to find employment. But with a BMS degree, you get the best chances of employment.
Thanks to specialisation like marketing, HR, and finance. BMS graduates can find jobs easily in the corporate world in these sectors. Banking and insurance sectors also have a high requirement for BMS graduates. The private sectors where BMS graduates can find jobs. The government sector has woken to the need for good managers, and there are lucrative opportunities here as well.
Salary After BMS Course in India?
Why does one get educated? To have a good salary, benefits, and a career, isnt it? The BMS degree will get you all that and more. Since this is a managerial degree that makes you a highly employable professional, you can expect a decent starting salary with opportunities to grow.
In the current economic scenario, INR 20,000 to INR 40,000 seems to be the salary range for a BMS graduate. This figure is from the private sector. In the government sectors, the salary is dependent on the industry and position, which tend to be fixed.
There are many other parameters as well that may increase or decrease your prospective salary amount. If you get a job in a metro city, obviously your salary amount and benefits package will be high but so will your expenses. The industry you find work in and its current economic situations also play a role in the average salary you make.
Top Recruiters for BMS Graduate
There are a few industries and recruiters who look for BMS graduates or candidates with similar degrees. These recruiters have managerial and administrative job openings, which are perfect for BMS graduates.
The countrys largest private sector bank is always on the lookout for managerial candidates. This company is expanding into many other financial sectors like financial services, insurance, etc. and has openings for talented people. Their employees also get a good salary and benefits package.
How can the countrys largest public-sector bank be behind the private sector. The State Bank of India has absorbed many state banks to become a single entity and is expanding aggressively. There are many probationary officers and similar positions you can vie for. However, you will have to clear their internal exams.
HDFC is another private banking sector powerhouse that has been growing strength to strength. And a growing company needs good managers. Therefore, you get attractive and high-paying jobs in this company.
4. Bajaj Allianz
Allianz is one of the worlds biggest financial services company, and in India, they have tied up with the trustworthy Bajaj. This is an excellent company to find employment in a managerial or administrative position.
5. IT Sector
There are too many companies to name that are constantly looking for BMS candidates who can become good managers and benefit the industry.
Benefits Of BMS Course
The BMS degree, though new, has many advantages over traditional degrees when it comes to the knowledge imparted and the opportunities it presents. This is the reason why many universities started offering this professional course, and many students started gravitating towards it.
Here are a few benefits of BMS course that showcase BMS degrees best aspects:
- There are very few degrees that can match up to the knowledge you will be getting in your BMS degree. You will leave your college a business and management expert.
- Once you know the fundamentals of management, you have the liberty of choosing the industry that most appeals to you. From retail to insurance, managers are required in all business, and you can find a lucrative job in your favourite industry.
- In a BMS degree, you are prepared for success. You not only get to work on your theoretical knowledge, but you are also taught about real-world situations through practical work.
- If you have hope of someday starting your business, the BMS degree is the best thing you can do. In this degree, along with aspects like marketing, finance, and accounting, you also learn entrepreneurship and leadership skills which will prepare you for starting your business.
- Many students have the desire to study further and get a master’s or a postgraduate degree. The BMS degree opens doors for you to get into an MBA or PGDM.
Read further Scope and Benefits of Pursuing BMS Degree
PG Courses And Further Education After BMS
As mentioned above, the BMS opens doors for masters and postgraduate courses. MBA and PGDM degree and diploma courses are the most popular courses BMS students opt for their further education. In these courses, students can continue with their specialisations and become experts in the field, not to mention, get high paying managerial positions in the best companies.
The Bachelor of Management course is one of the best courses to choose from after your 12th standard. It will result in an excellent career that you will be proud of and give you professional satisfaction.