Science Vs Commerce Vs Arts – Confused?
One of the biggest dilemmas a student faces is what to choose between science, commerce, and arts. Theres a lot of pressure on making this choice because students have to most likely continue to pursue an education in the same stream until the end of graduation or post-graduation. Though students can change streams, it takes a lot of time and effort to do that, so it’s better to make the right choice from the start.
1. About Science Stream – Overview
The science stream is all about sciences like physics, chemistry, and biology. Mathematics and computer science are also a part of this. Getting an education in this stream will lead to science-based careers like doctor, engineer, scientist, forensic expert, geologist, and computer engineer. Science is a stream popular with parents and students alike.
2. About Commerce Stream – Overview
The commerce stream is all about the business, economics, and organisational structures. In this stream, you have subjects like economics, accounting, mathematics, finance, organisational structure, and business studies. A bachelors degree in commerce can lead to banking, accounting, insurance, clerical, managerial, and administrative careers. This is one of the most popular streams with students.
3. About Arts Stream – Overview
The arts stream covers subjects like language, literature, psychology, history, geography, sociology, Sanskrit, and Hindi. Contrary to belief, arts can also lead to many fulfilling careers like journalists, psychologists, archaeologists, graphic designers, photographers, copywriters, and film-makers. Most of these are artistic professions whose popularity has grown in recent times, leading to many students choosing the art stream.
How to Choose Between Science, Commerce, and Arts?
Science, commerce, and arts are the main subjects to choose from when it comes to undergrad education. Your 10th and 12th standard education is mainly to form a strong base for what is to come in the future, so the onus is on you to make the right choice. Since there is so much pressure, you will need help.
Check out the following information which will help you decide between science, commerce, and arts.
1. When to opt for Science?
- Liking for Natural Sciences – If you like natural sciences subjects like physics, chemistry, and biology, and have previously scored well in these subjects, you have to choose the science stream. Your love for these subjects will only grow as you get deeper into their study and learn in more detail.
- Good in Mathematics – Mathematics is a subject that is a strong part of most streams, especially the science stream. If you want to become a scientist, you will need to be good at mathematics. Equations, experiments, research, and studies – all of these are a part of science and need knowledge of mathematics.
- Diverse Careers – The science field has some of the most diverse careers. From an engineer to a physicist, you can find a wide range of careers in this field. You get the luxury of choice and an opportunity to pursue something you are truly passionate about and make good money while at it.
- Career in Computers – There are some courses that you can directly opt for if you are interested in making a career in computers and technology, but if you cant opt for them, you will have to go the science route. Many courses in science can lead to a career in computers and technology.
2. When to opt for Commerce?
- Good with Numbers – If you are good at basic math, you can consider doing commerce. Accounting does not require complex mathematics, but strong basic math. This math is also useful in economics as well. Therefore, if you are good with numbers, you can do really well in the commerce stream.
- White-Collar Jobs – If you are looking to have a low-stress, high paying job where you dont have to work at odd hours, or do any kind of fieldwork, commerce is the stream for you. This does not mean white-collar jobs are any less important, rather, these jobs are very important. Office workers are the people behind the scenes ensuring everything runs smoothly.
- Start Your Own Business – In the commerce stream, you are taught about all aspects involved in running an organisation. Therefore, you will have all the knowledge and understanding of how to start and successfully run a business. Many entrepreneurs start with a commerce degree.
- For CA and CS – If you want to study courses like Chartered Accountancy (CA) and Company Secretary (CS), you will need to be a commerce graduate. CA and CS are specialist degrees that further build on what you learn in the commerce degree. CA and CS courses are held in high regard.
3. When to opt for Arts?
- Passionate About Art – If you are passionate about art, craft, language, literature, music, films, photography, history or geography, you have to choose arts for graduation. Arts is a degree that allows you to follow your passion and even make a career complemented by good pay and benefits.
- Different Careers – If you are looking to have a different career than the norm, arts is the stream for you. People who study arts go for careers like psychologists, archaeologists, journalists, filmmakers, photographers, and more. Therefore, if you dont want a 9 to 5 job, you should consider doing arts.
- Visual Media – There are many professions in visual media, and studying arts is the best way to be eligible for these professions. The visual media industry is one of the fastest-growing industries in the country and employs thousands of professionals. With an arts degree, you can be a part of this exciting industry.
- Satisfy Creative Thirst – You hear stories of so many people quitting their job later in life and pursuing creative professions. By choosing arts, you can do this right from the beginning. You can make fulfilling careers and be happy with what you do for a living.
Why Take the Right Stream?
Choosing the right stream is of utmost importance. You are going to invest 3 years of your life towards an undergraduate degree course, so it has to be the right one. Changing streams, later on, will waste a lot of time and money, and all your previous efforts become wasted.
Here are some other reasons to make the right decision:
- For Your Knowledge – You dont get an education just to get a job, you get an education to gain knowledge as well. If you have taken the right decision, you are going to gain a lot of knowledge in a subject that you love.
- For Your Career – For most people, careers start right after graduation. Your bachelors degree decides what career path you are going to take. The wrong choice means you will end up in the wrong profession and be unsuccessful.
- For Happiness – People in the wrong profession are also quite unhappy. When you do the right degree course, you will end up doing a job that you truly love. Youll be getting paid to do what you love, resulting in happiness.
- For Value for Money – Education in India is not cheap. Parents invest their hard-earned money to get their child educated, and if the stream is not the right one, it all becomes a big waste of time and money.
- For Contributing to Society – People with the right education and profession contribute to the betterment of society. They not only pay taxes, but they are also moral citizens that make life better for others.
The streams of science, commerce, and arts, each have their advantages and disadvantages. Today, all these streams lead to excellent careers, and you can make a good living in any of them. You can also choose to study further for a masters degree and postgraduate courses. So, it all comes to what you are good at and what career you want to pursue. So, take the advice given above and choose the right career path for yourself.