Master of Computer Applications (M.C.A) Course Overview
Master Computer Application is a postgraduate degree done after a Bachelor of Computer Application or any other bachelor’s degree in computers. It is a professional degree regarding the development of computer applications with the help of modern computer languages. This degree is one of the best degrees that will get you a job in the countrys fast-growing Information Technology sector.
If you are considering doing the MCA degree, you should know everything about the degree. You will find all the information here below. From the duration of the course, and eligibility, to salaries and benefits, the following article contains all the information you need about the MCA degree that will help you make an informed decision on whether to or not to pursue the course.
Table Of Content
- MCA Course Highlights
- MCA Duration
- MCA Eligibility
- MCA Admission
- MCA Fees
- MCA Specialization
- MCA Syllabus
- MCA Entrance Exams
- Salary After MCA
- MCA Scope
- Career Opportunities After MCA
- How to Choose MCA College
- MCA Graduates Recruiters
- Benefits of MCA Degree
- Key Takeaway
MCA: Course Highlights
The MCA degree is one of the most top-rated professional degrees, with many students applying for it. Its not just computer application students, but students from other disciplines also opt for MCA for their masters owing to the potential of the degree. Here are a few MCA program highlights that will give you a good overview of the degree:-
- MCA Full-Form – Master of Computer Application
- MCA Course Level – MCA is a masters degree course.
- MCA Course Duration – This degree will take you 2 years to complete.
- MCA Course Eligibility – You need to have a bachelor’s degree in computer application. Other bachelors degrees or computer-related degrees are also acceptable, but it depends on the university and institute.
- MCA Course Examination Pattern – The course is conducted in a semester pattern with 2 semesters per year, resulting in 4 semesters for the degree.
- MCA Course Admission Process – On merit or entrance exam-based.
- Average Starting Salary After MCA– INR 2.5 lakhs to 3.5 lakhs.
- Average Course Fee of MCA Degree – Up to 3 lakhs
- Top MCA Recruiters – Microsoft, Amazon, Google, TCS, Infosys, Mahindra, & Snapdeal
MCA Course Duration
The MCA is a professional degree and the knowledge this degrees students get is not less than that of a computer engineer. The course is a perfect blend of theoretical knowledge and practical application. Therefore, master’s courses MCA is 2 years long. It is divided into 4 semesters. At the end of the course, students are well-versed in developing computer applications in the latest computer languages, and even managing and overseeing projects.
MCA Course Eligibility Criteria
Before you think about doing the MCA course, you need to check if you are eligible to do the course or not. Not everyone can apply for this course.
The following are the criteria you need to fit into to be eligible for an MCA degree course.
- You need to have a bachelor’s degree in computer application.
- Most MCA institutes will accept graduates from other streams like commerce, arts, science, and computer science as well.
- You need to have more than 50% of your bachelors degree.
- You need to have more than 55% in your 12th standard.
MCA Admission Process
Once you know you are eligible for the MCA degree course, the next step is getting admission for the course. There are two ways you can get admission for the MCA course. Heres more information on the admission process:-
1. Merit-Based Admission
Most colleges and institutes provide merit-based admission.
- You can directly apply for the MCA course by filling out an application form and providing your bachelors degree documents.
- The college will release a list of students who have secured admission.
- If your name is confirmed, you will have to pay the course fees to secure your seat.
2. Entrance Exam
Some institutes provide admissions to students based on their scores in entrance exams.
- Apply for the entrance exam by filling out the application form and paying the fees.
- Prepare and sit for the entrance exam.
- After getting the results, you will be allotted a college. You can also apply to the college of your choice based on your results.
- If the entrance exam is of the college, you will automatically get admission if you get the desired results.
- Pay the fees and secure your seat.
MCA Course Fees
MCA is a professional degree and makes you eligible to get a good job and salary. Therefore, the fees for this course are slightly higher than other master’s degree courses. The figure provided below is an average figure.
- The average fees for an MCA course are between 1 lakh to 3 lakhs
*Please note the fee of the college of your choice may vary depending on various factors.
List of MCA Specialization
If a professional course like MCA, there are specializations or electives students have to choose. These specializations decide the career path of the students.
Here is a list of specializations you can choose from during your MCA course:-
- MCA in Networking
- MCA in Hardware Technology
- MCA in Internet workings
- MCA in Management Information Systems (MIS)
- MCA in Application Software
- MCA in Software Development
- MCA in Systems Engineering
- MCA in Systems Management
- MCA in Systems Development
- MCA in Troubleshooting
The MCA syllabus is designed in such a way that students progress their knowledge levels with each passing year in computer software, hardware, and even their management.
Check out the MCA syllabus subjects given below, which are divided according to semesters.
- Programming Fundamentals
- Web Technology
- Fundamentals of Computer Organization
- Mathematical Foundation
- Data and File Structure
- Elements of Basic Communication
- InfoSystems Analysis Design & Implementations
- Unix & Windows Lab
- Operating Systems
- Oral and Wireless Communications
- Accounting and Management Control
- Business Programme Lab
- Probability & Combinatorics
- Database Management Systems
- Statistical Computing
- Object-Oriented Analysis and Design
- Management Support System
- DBMS Lab
- Computer Communication Networks
- Statistical Computing Lab
- Network Programming
- Network Lab
- Software Engg.
- Elective I
- Elective 2
- Organizational Behaviour
- CASE Tools Lab
- A.I and Applications
- Optimization Techniques
- Software Engineering II
- Elective 3
- Elective 4
- Optimization Techniques Lab
- AI & Application Lab
- Industrial Lectures Seminar, Project
List of MCA Entrance Exams
Many institutes require you to clear and entrance exams. You are then granted admission based on how much you score in that entrance exam. Some of these tests are national-level, but most of them are state-level.
Heres a list of the most popular MCA entrance exams:-
- Karnataka PGCET – The Karnataka Post Graduate Common Entrance Test will get you admission to MCA institutes in the state of Karnataka.
- KMAT – The Karnataka Management Aptitude Test gives students from all across India access to more than 169 institutes across Karnataka.
- NIMCET – NIT MCA Common Entrance Test gets you admission into many technical institutes in the country. This is a national-level test.
- IIT JAM – The Indian Institute of Technology Joint Admission Test gets you admission into the IITs and IISCs.
- CET (Mah) – Common Entrance Test (Maharashtra) gets you admission to technical institutes in Maharashtra. This state has some of the best MCA institutes in the country.
- GCET – Goa Common Entrance Test is a test for MCA institutes located in the state of Goa.
- TS ICET – If you want to study MCA in Telangana state, the Telangana State Integrated Common Entrance Test is the one for you.
- TANCET – Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test will get you admission into MCA institutes in Tamil Nadu, including the ones in Chennai.
Salary After MCA Course In India
Isn’t salary the biggest motivating factor for anyone choosing a certain stream of education? Of course, the scenario is different nowadays with students choosing their passion and even parents encouraging this. But salary is still a huge motivating factor, and those who are passionate about MCA also have an opportunity to earn a good living.
The average starting salary for an MCA graduate lies between INR 2.5 lakhs to INR 3.5 lakhs. His is better than most starting salaries, and with experience and growth, the numbers go up quite high. Also, since most MCA graduates work in the IT industry, the benefits that come with the job are excellent.
MCA Scope in India
India is the IT hub of the world. Our IT industry continues to consistently achieve the highest growth numbers year after year, ensuring job security and growth to those employed in the industry. Most, if not all MCA graduates, find jobs in the IT industry. Therefore, this degree course has a lot of scope in India considering our nations penchant for IT. Plus, MCA is a technical and professional degree, and candidates holding this degree are not easily replaceable.
Related Blog Is MCA the Right Degree for a Good Career?
Career or jobs Opportunities After MCA Degree
Career opportunities are the most important factor everyone looks when they choose to study for a certain degree, MCA aspirants should also do the same. You should know what types of careers you are looking at, and it will help you get a clear view of your future and make the right career moves.
Here are some careers or jobs opprtunities aftre MCA degree to consider:
1. Software Developer –
If you have a passion for developing new software, an MCA degree would be the right career move for you.
2. Hardware Engineer –
Hardware is just as important as software. The reality is that hardware engineers find jobs much quicker as there is a dearth of hardware engineers.
3. Software Consultant –
After gaining the right amount of experience and additional certifications, you can become a software consultant and earn a great living.
4. Computer System Analyst –
This is again a high demand position in any industry as most industries today are dependent on computers for their daily functioning.
5. Project Manager –
Since MCA is a master’s degree, you can easily become a project manager and handle a team of IT professionals working for you.
Further Reading Top 10 Career Options After MCA in India
How to Choose Top MCA College
Choosing the right MCA college is very important, as MCA is a very technical subject. You have to ensure that you are doing this course from the right college to get the best out of your education. But with so many MCA colleges, it can be difficult to make the right choice.
Here are some top 5 parameters that will help you choose the right MCA college:
The curriculum taught in a college is always given on the website. Check this curriculum out. It will give you a fair idea of what you are going to learn in the MCA course in that college. Therefore, choose the most technically sound MCA course as you will get to learn a lot and do well in your career.
Whats the point of a great curriculum if you dont have the right people teaching it? Great faculty will not only teach you MCA, but they will also help you understand it. Some of the best minds in the world attribute their success to great teachers. So, faculty is an important parameter to consider.
Yes, placements matter a lot because the first job you get an MCA graduate is where you will learn a lot and get to use all the knowledge gained during your course. Placements matter.
4. Reviews & Ratings
Everything is reviewed in todays world, so why would an MCA college be different. You can look online and get the right reviews and ratings of colleges on many different forums and websites. There could be a few fake ones as well, but you should be able to differentiate and make the right choice.
5. Your Choice
This is probably the most important parameter to consider – your choice! If you have made up your mind to pursue MCA, you also must have a fair idea of which college you would like to go to. Just make sure your reasoning for choosing an MCA college is sound and aim to get admission in that college. Its that simple.
Top Companies Hiring MCA Graduates
While considering any professional degree, you should also consider which companies are hiring graduates of that degree. This again helps you evaluate the degree against your career goals. Dont just look at the recruiters for the salary they offer, but also the knowledge you stand to gain by working there.
Here are the best top 5 companies that hire MCA graduates:
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS)
- International Business Machines (IBM)
Benefits of Doing MCA Course
For doing any masters course, one thing you must consider is the benefits. Therefore, before making up your mind about doing an MCA and going through the difficult and expensive process of securing your admission, you must consider the benefits.
Here are top 5 Advantages of Pursing MCA Course
1. Technical Education
MCA is a technical and professional degree with a lot of value. Therefore, once you get this degree, you will get a lot of credibility as a professional. You will also know a lot about hardware, software, networking, etc. making you wealth an of technical education.
Even BCA students get good jobs, so, you can imagine how good it must be for the MCA graduates. Most students find good jobs right at the beginning of their careers. And given the fact that they have master’s degrees, they get promotions quicker and they can move into management.
3. High Salary
With good employment opportunities comes good salary numbers. MCA students start with salaries better than many masters level courses. They also get good benefits along with more growth opportunities.
4. On Trend
This is one of the biggest benefits of doing an MCA. It is a degree course that is one trend. Computer application is not just an important part of the Information Technology industry, computer applications are now an integral part of most businesses and will continue to grow.
5. Better Equipped for Future
As you may know, technologies change at the drop of a hat, and many employees struggle to adapt to a change in technology. But as an MCA graduate, you can adapt to any new technologies like a fish to water. This way, your job will always be secure for the future.
MCA is one of the best master’s degrees to do after graduation. There are many benefits to doing this degree, and you are also on the road to attaining a high-paying successful career. All you need to do is have a passion for computer application and put in the required hard work and effort. The future is bright for MCA graduates, and you can be a part of it.
To know more about MCA degrees, you can connect with our counsellors as well who will expertly guide you on the MCA degree course.Click here to contact the ASMs IMCOST team for more information.